May 1, 2010

Haircut time

After months of desensitizing and practicing for a haircut it was finally time to book an appointment at our local hairdressers. Logan was going for his first haircut! Well not really first but the first that I did not have to hold him down in the chair and listen to him scream and cry for half an hour. There was one hitch. We woke up to 20cm of snow....What do you do? In hindsight I should have called the salon asked if they were open and maybe postponed it! I had been telling Logan that we were going and he seemed excited so I wanted to seize the opportunity. The aides and OT had been working since January to walk through all the steps of a haircut which included cutting small bit of hair on a daily basis. I was so excited to see Logan with a "normal" haircut. Again in hindsight I should have been patient. The salon was closed due to weather when we showed up. Damn! So instead of going home I found another salon that was open. Our aide and I tried to explain to the non English speaking hairdresser that Logan needed to take baby steps. If he could only sit in the chair today that was fine. So Logan got in the chair. The cape was put around him...I was so proud of these accomplishments alone as they were huge for Logan. The hairdresser pulled out the razor still good we practiced this at home....then the razor nip his skin and that was enough. After a five minute break Logan sat in the chair again. We asked the hairdresser to go slow when cutting a few cuts then stop a few more then stop but she did not speak English she went all Edward Sissorhands on Logan's hair when the hair fell on his lap that was the end of that. He was done for the day. After telling the hairdresser we were all done she insisted she could finish. We said no we are all done. When she was following Logan with the sissors cutting his hair when he was walking his aide just told her NO MORE he is done thank you. So I did not get a "normal" looking haircut on my boy but it did teach me that slow and steady works for Logan. We have an appointment next week at the original Salon that understands Logan's needs. If he can only sit in the chair that will be fine with me.
After our "lesson" with the hairdresser I told Logan he was so brave. I asked what he would like for a treat and because we were close to Costco he said he wanted a cookie. So into Costco and to the bakery so we could get him a free cookie. Then we went to get some lunch in the cafeteria part of Costco. Logan was stimming alot after his haircut and he was not listening. So it should not have been a surprise when he fell off his bench and onto the cement floor head first! This is where I must vent. To any parent or person who knows about Autism it would have been clear that Logan was Autistic he was (spinning, flapping, jumping on his toes..ect). On that day though none of those educated people were in Costco when Logan fell. The people that were there all looked at me and shook their heads. Most likely thinking what a brat. My son is not a brat...he was not ignoring me by choice. In my perfect world everyone will know what Autism "looks like". So today when you see a "bratty" kid in the mall try walking by without judgement you just never know maybe he just made it though his first haircut!

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 01, 2010

    You can get autism awareness explanation cards (like business cards) that would explain what Logan is going through - I know a few people that carry these around with them for the odd occasion they encounter someone who doesn't understand.

    (They look something like this: http://www.zazzle.ca/autism_awareness_explanation_cards_customized_business_card-240996346993986004)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 03, 2010

    can't find the card your talking about

    ReplyDelete